Saturday, July 13, 2013

Roadside Memorials


Little memorials scatter the roadside in and around our community.
 Tender tributes to accident victims, some horribly tragic.
  My first encounter out here was a lone cross with the inscription Moondog.
Then there was the tragic dump truck accident on Hwy 44 
near Six Flags where five family members were killed when
the driver of the truck didn't notice traffic had stopped.

In this accident a carload of teens were killed when
an oncoming vehicle crossed the center line.
They say the parents could only identify their children
by bits of tattoos that survived the fire when the vehicle burst into flames.

 Some are motorcycle accidents,
some may have caused the accident, or not.
It seems there is controversy over allowing these markers 
but for now they exist and serve as a reminder.
Not necessarily to slow down,
or don't drive drunk,
or don't text while driving
 although we should keep that in mind.

It reminds me to say a quick prayer as I drive by
because regardless of what happened
the goal is to get souls to Heaven.
And how many silent prayers do they get from passersby?
 How fortunate that these markers just might 
remind us to send up an extra something for these victims
and their families.

My mother in law told me once that every time you hear
a siren, make sure to say a quick Hail Mary because
you never know how many others are saying one too
and we can use all the help we can get.






4 comments:

Gorges Smythe said...

I've always understood why people do such things as make roadside memorials. Still, they make a place that's impossible to mow, and may be a distraction to other drivers as well. The person's body isn't there, their soul isn't there either, so it seems only to memorialize their death and the loss of those left behind. Still, I guess we all need to mourn in our own way.

Candy C. said...

We have those here too, even along the interstate.

Yahoobuckaroo's Blog said...

I'm not a fan. Some poor slob has to try to cut grass around those things, and many are just left to rot in the elements. I think they should be outlawed myself. Sorry!

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Most of these are scattered, not concentrated in a long line of what are typically only crosses, this one is the most ornate I have seen. Now I agree you shouldn't leave teddy bears and things that will be left to fall apart and litter the roadways but I can't imagine a simple cross that may be 10 miles from the next memorial causes too much difficulty, any more than going around a rock or a tree.