Sunday, July 3, 2011

Zucchini Relish Pressure Canned


Six pints of Zucchini Relish pressure canned using our first harvests.


My husband wondered why on earth I would plant so terribly many zucchini plants. You can only eat so many grilled and the bread would need to be frozen. He's a meat and potato guy, vegetables are a necessary evil and they had better have flavor. This has FLAVOR.


The relish started with 12 cups of zucchini adding some cucumber, green and red pepper, onion, and salt and let it sit overnight. Next drain, rinse and squeeze out extra liquid.


Place it in a saucepan with sugar, vinegar, nutmeg, turmeric, horseradish and chili pepper. Cook it up for about 45 minutes. It will begin to yellow, I assume from the turmeric.


Prepare jars and lids. Fill jars and place in the canner.


I was wondering if this would be too hot. It's not.
I was wondering if this would be too much like hot dog relish. It's not.

You can eat this before cooking it- as a wonderful salad, much like a shoepeg corn salad, sort of tangy like coleslaw. The aroma while cooking was wonderful. After cooking it thickened to a relish consistency.

I just don't know if I'll enjoy it as a side dish or top off a nice sausage. Either way, it'll be great.

No comments: