Sunday, October 21, 2012

Would You Like Fries with Your Woodchuck?


There was an Awww moment, just for a day.
Then when I was photographing the little cutie, it ran and disappeared!
I went out the back deck and looked down to see a 
pile of rock had been dug out from under the foundation.  There  is
a drainage hole that is apparently perfect for a winter den.
There was also a TAIL sticking out and it sure 
didn't look like a cat.

Tom stomped on the basement floor and soon out pops a HEAD!
Yes, the groundhog has decided to live beneath our basement.
Bad choice, now it's got to go.


My neighbor mentioned it is visiting her too, and tearing up the yard.
They are ready to shoot it - and we are in season.
We spoke yesterday and decided if we shoot it, we're cooking it.
It will be a first for me- dressing out a woodchuck.
There are some special glands that have to be removed too.
I saw a recipe on Groundhog Day, a real recipe, not a joke.
We're going to try.

Do I dare tell Mom?
Noooooo. At least not right away.
I don't think this is the vision she had for me  LOL!
Somewhere between Elly May and Granny!

We did get the woodchuck and our plans continue.  Stay tuned- separate post on the way but be warned  that will be more graphic-



Part 3 Recipe


16 comments:

Gorges Smythe said...

Young ones at least, are delicious. You can't tell them from coon or muskrat! Seriously! ;-)

Kathy Felsted Usher said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Got him.

Candy C. said...

Glad you got him!! :)

Our Neck of the Woods said...

Wow, I've never heard of anyone cooking woodchuck, but good for you for wanting to make use of it! Let us know how it turns out!

Doug Pitcher said...

Found you from the barn hop. Not sure I'd invite people over for woodchuck surprise but interesting post none the less. Thanks for sharing.

Doug Pitcher said...

I have marmots at my place. But think I'll keep them for a spring desert. ha.

Wonderwoman said...

Fries or mashed potatoes...no matter which! Cute as they may be, they can do so much damage. We tried the catch and release method but I swear they found their way back.

Carolyn said...

I'd be interested in how you "dealt" with the woodchuck. Never tasted one, although honestly, I've only seen one up the road and never on our property so it's not like we're going go out looking for one.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I never thought I would either! I have not tasted it yet but my husband says it's good, a cross between chicken and beef. Doing it up like groundhog and dumplings.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I have another post but I don't know if I'll Hop It. Might be too graphic for some although the photos are no worse than processing a chicken or a deer. It's cooking right now.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Turns out it's dumplings!

Lisa/Fresh Eggs Daily Farm Girl said...

I just found you on the Homestead Revival...interesting post! Please come share at my Farm Girl Blog Fest! Lisa http://fresh-eggs-daily.blogspot.com/2012/10/farm-girl-blog-fest-5.html

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Sure! I know this is a little different. I linked up. Thank you.

Debbie @DewdropGables said...

My husband is a hunter and I rarely buy beef, always have a freezer full of deer & moose. We used to host wild game dinners with all our hunter friends, but I don't remember if we've ever had woodchuck. Hope it tastes great!
I saw you linking at Farm Girl Blog Fest.
Debbie :)

Kathy Shea Mormino, The Chicken Chick said...

Hello! I’m stopping in to invite you to join us at the Clever Chicks Blog Hop this week!
http://www.the-chicken-chick.com/2012/11/clever-chicks-blog-hop-7-country-craft.html

I hope to see you there!
Cheers!
Kathy
The Chicken Chick