Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Frost Warning- The Gathering




Sweet little pumpkins all in a row.
We had a frost warning so I gathered up everything I could, 
even the green pumpkins, they make interesting
decorations or ninja turtle jack o lanterns!
I'm not so sure about the one with the broken stem.  
The orange ones continue to ripen so maybe the green ones will too?



I saved some cukes, green peppers, basil and sage 
plus a little more flat leafed parsley.


The peppers are sort of small but not too small to dehydrate!
They are off limits for awhile for us anyway so dried and stored works for me!


I planted sweet potatoes in a porch planter strictly for decoration
and much to my pleasure, it  produced!  The smaller container
actually produced more, larger potatoes than the larger container.
I hear I need to let them cure or they won't be so sweet.  
The directions said they had to be at around 80 degrees F
but I don't have anything that warm!  We keep the  house at
about 65 degrees in the winter.


I suspended some in a Ball jar with the roots in water.
We'll see if they sprout.
If not, we'll enjoy the experiment.
This weekend is dehydration time for my remaining
acorn and spaghetti squash plus anything else that 
happens to be lingering by then.

10 comments:

Gorges Smythe said...

Read of a lady who makes "end of garden relish." Maybe you could use some of your odds and ends for that.

Kristi said...

I've never grown sweet potatoes, and had not heard about curing them. 80 degrees is warm; are they customarily harvested in the summer?

Sunnybrook Farm said...

We never got any frost but I picked most of the peppers several days ago. Not something you want to take a chance on.

Candy C. said...

Your sweet potatoes did great! It all looks so good and I know you will be enjoying it throughout the winter! :)

Our Neck of the Woods said...

Wow, what a harvest! I like the green pumpkins. Good idea on ninja turtle jack o lanterns!

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I went ahead and dehydrated the peppers until Tom can eat them again and I'm making pumpkin cake out of the individual pumpkins- it's really good. The acorn squash, well, I'm not sure. I'll dehydrate some, bake some and then I saw a rice dish made with it that might be good. The herbs are OK, I can dry them. The relish is a good idea. I wonder if you can make a pumpkin relish? I'll bet you can.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

No, you wait for the leaves to die, which mine are since it's cold here. I think I'll cook them anyway, maybe the curing is to store them through winter.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

You bet! It won't hurt to pick them and if the tiny ones keep growing, all the better.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I'll save the tiny ones along with the little seed potatoes. Maybe they will grow again next year.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Aren't they cool! So far they have stayed green.