Sunday, October 28, 2012

Look What He's Done Now!


I have meat hanging from my kitchen wall.
Meat.
Two long cut hams that we cured and now hang awaiting meals.

This is similar to the hams you see hanging in burlap bags.
It needs no refrigeration but it will look moldy.


These uncooked hams are safe stored at room temperature and because they contain so little water, bacteria can't multiply in them.. . Mold - Can often be found on country cured ham. Most of these are harmless but some molds can produce mycotoxins. Molds grow on hams during the long curing and drying process because the high salt and low temperatures do not inhibit these robust organisms. DO NOT DISCARD the ham. Wash it with hot water and scrub off the mold with a stiff vegetable brush.  LINK to USDA

My husband purchased flour sack cloth and sewed the bags himself. 
In a "more manly" moment (LOL) he formed and welded a bracket of substantial girth to hang the hams.
IN . . . MY . . . KITCHEN.  :(

Well, at least it's in the corner.

I think I'll let him eat his fill first.
Then after a day or two, if things go well, I might try it.
LOL!

4 comments:

Our Neck of the Woods said...

Wow, I didn't know you could do that! Good idea on letting him eat it first. If he makes it, then you're good to go, haha!

Thistle Cove Farm said...

I never hung my hams in the kitchen...too warm but would hang them in a room that was cooler or in an outbuilding. The outbuilding was built specifically for curing pork but now it's my studio.

Candy C. said...

"I think I'll let him eat his fill first.
Then after a day or two, if things go well, I might try it."
ROTFL!!

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I was concerned about that but the basement is too damp, not wet though. I did use Kitchen loosely, it's a breakfast room but the kitchen is between it and the dining room and it's next to the breakfast bar. We have plenty of seating so it's just a spare area. Hopefully it will be ok.