Thursday, October 18, 2012

Wickedly Easy Red and Another in Line


Here I am, slow poking around with my newest quilt top, Wickedly Easy Quilts pattern that I started last month (see this post) for the FREE pattern.   I am making the lap quilt.


I started out with 12 red and white fat quarters and cut them into the various strips the pattern called for.  You may also need a little bit of additional fabric depending on the size and border you want. Some of the fat quarter strips are used by themselves  and some as dividers between strips.  

Then you mix up all the non divider pieces and sew several strips together according to the FREE pattern guide.  (see my first photo).   You better have a well cut fat quarter, not much room left to square it up.

Then you cut your strips into two 7 1/2 inch sections and one 2 1/2 inch section.

The two 7 1/2 inch layered sections are separated and the non layered original fat quarter piece you set aside is stitched between them.  You make several of these blocks.  The next block is set against this one but turned sideways.  The 2 1/2 layered strip will become the border.

I've been thinking about this.  I'm not so sure I want it for the border.  I might use something plain white or plain red or perhaps white with very teeny tiny dots. Something along those lines.  Then I can use the layered ones on the final edge but I'll need to add some pieces to it if I extend the size.



You can see the layout here.


There is another FREE pattern when you visit www.byannie.com that is similar.
I found these fabrics on sale and thought I might make another OR try the second pattern which is also scrappy.  Not sure which yet.


There is pink and purple and florals with wild designs.


Greens, blues, pinks


additional floral with a more yellow tone, a purple leaf or pebble pattern, flowers and tone on tone pink.


with some more subdued yellow and dotted/dashed pink with a hint of green.
They didn't cut fat quarters at this shop so I got WOF ( theirs is 44 or 45) by 20 to give me some leeway.  Most of the FQ I see today are 18 X 21 and rarely a full 22.
With this I can just cut my own full 18 x 22  and have another to spare.   
At half the price, that's ok.




7 comments:

Our Neck of the Woods said...

Looking great so far! I am always in awe of those who quilt. I don't think I'd have the patience for it!

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

Oh wow...that makes my eyes cross. I'm not good with the abstract stuff.
But I know it will be pretty when you're finished.
I'll just stick to crochet. That is somehow easier to me!

Pat

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I've seen one done by my co worker but in different colors and patterns. This red/white one is either going to be really pretty or a complete train wreck. Not sure which until I've sewn them together.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

That's why I'm pokey! Some people I know can sit for hours and finish a quilt in a weekend or two. I do about a half hour here, another there, etc. So, I never get bored with it.

Candy C. said...

I LOVE the red and can't wait to see it's progress! :)

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

They are all trimmed now so sewing will begin in the next day or two.

Nancy said...

This is so pretty -- I used to love to quilt... no time or patience it seems these days for it. Go you! :)