Sunday, January 29, 2012

Killing Time with a Crochet Hook


When we are all hunkered down watching a movie or travelogue on TV I often pick up something to keep my hands busy. I don't do relaxation very well so I thought I'd try my hand at another afghan but this time it will hopefully be rectangular rather than trapezoidial! I guess I added or lost a few stitches on my last one. No matter, it's warm which is what counts.

I found out how to do a different stitch rather than a single crochet so this one is easier to do and much faster. I am making the background black and playing around with stripes. How many, what colors and how thick to make the bands. After placing various yarns together I decided to go with more brilliant hues of the three main colors you see here: pink, green and yellow. I had red and blue in reserve but they really take on a different feel than the candy colors of my three. I'll give it a wider band of black after the three sets of color but not too wide.

This time the whole afghan is wider too. My last one is a one-person cuddled-up-in-chair type afghan. This one could go across a bed or nicely cover our couch which folds out. It's a futon but made to look like a regular mission style couch but more firm. Both my husband and I have bad backs and can't handle sinking down into a comfy couch. This one has three positions too: straight up and down for regular days, all the way down for company or if someone is not feeling well and then half way for movie viewing. I have my 30 year old coffee table in front of it, one you can prop your feet up on.

I still for the life of me cannot make a Granny Square. I have watched video after video and mine are round- always. What am I doing wrong? Who knows. I think I'll have to bite the bullet and sign up for a lesson at the yarn shop in the next town!

4 comments:

Candy C. said...

I love the bright stripes against the black background! :)

Lisa said...

I am the same way! If I sit down to watch TV (which is rare), I pull out my crochet bag and make dish cloths and scarfs. Love your idea of the different colors. I must sit down and make an afghan. Don't feel bad about the Granny Square I can't make them either. As a self taught crochet (starving) artist I am pretty limited in what I can make. Reading instructions or watching videos only confuse me more! I need someone to sit beside me and show me how. I also want to learn how to knit.
Lisa

Darla Mae said...

Love the colors! I had trouble with my afgans being anything but rectangular,too! I found I kept getting tighter with my stitches. I figured out that if I fold it in half and check it against itself I can see if I am getting tighter or not. I check it every row or two and then if I am getting tighter I don't have to rip out too much! LOL Darlene

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I've been doing that too! So far no rip out. I think they make snap on counters but I am way too new for that!