Wednesday, November 2, 2011
A Quilt for Taylor's 7th Birthday
I am almost finished, just a little binding to go. In fact, just the back side of the binding since I sewed it to the front last night. I don't think I sew well enough to use the machine for the back. I'm sure my lines would appear wavy if I tried to "stitch in the ditch."
It's taken quite awhile to complete this quilt because I'm not one to sit down for a long stretch of time on the same thing. I'll do a little here, a little there. I may cut out squares for an hour but not sew anything for a few days. Then it was summer after all, it was nice outside! Then I sent it out for the quilting, my machine can't do anything that large. Then there was the servicing on the machine that took a couple of weeks. Now I'm down to the wire!!
I thought about getting some coordinating Burch fabric for the backing until I saw this. It had to be a pretty strong backing to be able to stand up to the front, and this worked plus I had enough to bind it as well.
The sashing is a variegated batik- it's all the same fabric, just changes colors here and there.
It gets real pink in spots but I kept more to the blue/purplish side with a little pinkness thrown in but the really pink pieces are back in the stash.
Maybe I have enough of the binding/backing left over to make a pillow case trimmed with it. We'll see, but it will be for Christmas, not next week!
I added a completed photo and linking to Crazy Mom Quilts
Linking to Jenny Matlock Alphabe-Thursday