Monday, February 2, 2015

Ground Hog and Dumplings- a Recipe






A Repost in celebration of Ground Hog Day
(this is the link to the recipe)

If you are squeamish about eating wild game,
this is not the post for you!

If; however, you would like a great ground hog recipe,
click on the link for the details. 

This was the ground hog that threatened our foundation. 
They can dig several feet of tunnels and up to five
entrances, collapsing foundations!  That being said,
this one's days were over and to not waste a perfectly 
good ground hog, I skinned it and cooked it up.
(I guess I was more like Granny than Elly Mae that day).









5 comments:

Sunnybrook Farm said...

I hardly ever see one around here as we think the coyotes are keeping the numbers down. I remember the old people talking about eating the rear legs and throwing the rest away when I was a kid but we never ate them, not hungry enough I guess. I do know that they eat nothing but good food, unlike a possum.

Powell River Books said...

Waste not, want not. We don't have any ground hogs around here. When I taught kindergarten we make pictures of ground hogs and put them on ice cream sticks. The we poked a hole in the bottom of a paper cup so the critter could pop up and down. We took them all out to the sand box and tried to see if they would stay up or go back down. Such fun for the little ones. - Margy

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Margy, what a cute project!!

Harry Flashman said...

Poor groundhog! I know you had to keep him from tearing up your house, though.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Yes, either way it was going to go so I could have just thrown it in the woods but that would have just attracted the coyotes to the house where my cats are.