Monday, February 16, 2015

Plastic Sack Compact Storage


If you are anything like me, you save your grocery sacks.
I use them for lunch bags, wastebasket liners, carry alls, etc.
I have a box beneath the sink where I would push them all into
a larger plastic bag and then take them out as needed.  It
was a mess with crumpled plastic bags stuck in others, some falling 
out when I pulled another one out plus they managed to find their
way outside of the bag and fall into the rest of the storage area.


Then I saw a website with a brilliant solution.
Do you remember all those little footballs you made from
paper back in high school?  She did this with the bags.
Link here


You open the bag and pull the handles so the sides are aligned.


Fold over once
and then again.


Adjust if your sides are not initially straight.


I added a red plastic so you can see the folds.
Once your sides are straight, fold over the bottom corner
so it aligns with the other side.


Flip it up so it's aligned with the other side.


When you flip as far as you can go (the handles)
fold over the handle so about an inch is visibible
and then tuck into the flap.



You'll have a little football.


I can place them in a smaller box
then squish them down so they don't hang over.
I have around 40 bags in this little box
where I used to have an overflowing mess.
Granted, I had a lot more bags in there before but
I don't think I need more than 40 at one time!

This is a great option for storage up in a craft room or
in bathrooms for the waste containers.  


7 comments:

Sunnybrook Farm said...

I guess that beats me hanging them on a door knob!

Gorges Smythe said...

Hi, Kathy. I posted a link to this on Facebook.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Thanks, glad you like it. It has really cleaned up my bag area!

Liz said...

Great idea! I am going to try this one for sure! Thanks for posting!
Liz

Harry Flashman said...

We keep all our plastic grocery sacks too. We keep them in a storage container from Wal-Mart. Your idea will enable us to keep more of the bags and in better order.,Thanks!

Powell River Books said...

Good idea. I'm still using the stuffed bag method. I use so many reusable grocery bags these days that I really try to hoard any plastic bags that come my way for trash. In Bellingham, plastic bags are banned. Bring your own or purchase paper ones at the store. Powell River still gives plastic bags, so I carry my excess over the border. - Margy

Patricia @ 9th and Denver said...

I've just about quit getting them...I'm switching to re-usable bags...
just north-west of here...in a little town called DALLAS...they're charging for these little bags! Nickle a pop!(basically a tax, yeah!)
They say it's to help cut down on littering.
As if... taxed bags won't blow down the street and ugly up the chain-link fence.
I believe they are also charging certain stores for using these bags...so an even bigger tax for the business.
WHAT'S NEXT AIR!? ...
oh wait, they already charge for that at the 'filler-up'...
oh well, at least if your's are all folded up under the cupboard, they're not, blowing in the wind! ;)
This kind of sounds like a jab at you...but honest, it's not.
;)