Saturday, September 10, 2011

Pretty Little Orange

Does it get any prettier than this?


This is an example of my recently dehydrated oranges, although I thought I lost the whole batch after a voice message received at work. It seems the rains set in and my carpenter husband's day was cut short. Summarized: The oranges are great, I might eat all of them before you get home!

NO, no, no! I haven't even seen them yet! This is my fruit hating, all meat and potatoes husband. Eating my oranges? These must be really, super good.

And they are! And beautifully translucent.

More on dehydrating later after I try to re hydrate and cook with my peppers and potatoes!

6 comments:

Lace up and Walk said...

I love things that are practical and pretty! Dehydrating is next on my list of things to do.

deb's ramblings said...

The oranges are beautiful! How did you keep your potatoes from turning brown?

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

The steam blanching prevents the potatoes from turning brown. We boiled water in the steamer and put the potato slices in the steamer insert so they were not in the water.

Laurie Neverman, The Common Sense Woman said...

The oranges are beautiful. What do you do with them, just eat them, or cook with them? I've never dehydrated them because they're not something I usually have in excess.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

That's funny, I was thinking the same thing until I kept catching my husband stealing one or two. I thought they might be pretty at the holidays as decorations. Also, I thought about making my own MREs. I started with one. I layered jerky, an assortment of dehydrated veges plus the oranges for fruit. It was just perfect until the potato edges pierced the bag. I am trying to work with Foodsaver to see what they suggest to pad them. I'm going to post something but maybe not tonight since I have Cert training.

Simple Pleasures said...

I just found your blog and can't wait to read the past posts, I am now following you! Please stop by and visit me!
Michelle at Simple Pleasures