Monday, September 5, 2011

Frugality-80% Savings at the Book Store


Just up the way on old Route 66, right at the intersection of Hwy 50, is a little flea market that has been operating there ever since I can remember. The Mason Dixon Flea Market is a mishmash of old buildings, stalls and metal sheds with vendors selling everything from old tools to fresh produce. You can find old farm tools, motorcycle parts, cast iron cook wear, clothing, furniture, collectibles and even get a tattoo if you are so inclined.

There is a great bookstore there, inside where you can go all year long. She has a wide selection of books,categorized by genre, stacked neatly on wooden shelves. The prices are good, much less than the list price plus some titles are fairly current.

My husband is an avid reader but bookstore prices, even Amazon, can be a bit too high in this economy so we are always looking for a good deal. The library is a great source and can work pretty well for me; however, he tends to read large books, typically historical in nature. He's a fast reader but sometimes it is more convenient to have a copy rather than try to complete it in two weeks and hope you can renew if you are not done. In addition, we are supporting a local business owner.

Yesterday's find List Price vs. Purchase Price:
The Century by Peter Jennings and Todd Brewer $60 vs. $8
Thomas Jefferson by Willard Randall $35 vs. $7
Lee and Jackson by Casdorph $13.95 vs. $5
Ghost Soldiers by Hampton Sides $14.95 vs. $4
Black Hawk Down $7.99 vs $2

Total List $132
Purchase $ 26
Saving $106

This is an 80% discount. You can't beat that!

5 comments:

Manny said...

Great deals. I'm a book buying addict. And finding such deals is great. You know, with the ebook phenomena going strong, one day they won't sell paper books any longer. I now have a Kindle and while I still prefer paper books, the electronic kind is growing on me. I kind of mix and match these days.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

It'll be a sad day when there are no more books! There's something about holding a book, turning the pages, folding over the corners to mark your place (only on my unimportant books!). I want to feel them in my hands. Kingles are probably good for commuting but for laying around in bed or on a lounger on the patio- nothing beats a real book.

Catawissa Gazetteer said...

And when all the Kindles die my old books will still be tickin' along.

Manny said...

LOL, you know Amazon holds on to your downloads, so you can always reload them. ;)

Catawissa Gazetteer said...

I know, but I can't help it, I'm a Luddite! When Amazon dies all my "downloads" will still be safely ensconced in my bookshelves, waiting for their eventual reload, too.