Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Taylor's Quilt


Getting closer! Taylor's quilt is nearly complete.

I picked up this Laurel Burch inspiration fabric: Celestial Dreams- Dreamland in blue. It's extremely whimsical and full of intense color. Click to enlarge.


I had to find a backing that could stand up in intensity to the inspiration fabric and various other patterns included in the quilt. I stopped into In Stitches (Ballwin, MO) and immediately saw this newly arrived fabric. It's not part of her collection; however, it works perfectly. I wish I could convey the actual colors- very intense.


I used a batik, variegated from pink to purple, for the sashing. It may also serve as the binding since the color variation can be manipulated by piecing.


Part of my plan was not to be the predictable me. I love the darker colors and would have had a perfect pattern with complete symmetry. Not here. A piece of inspiration fabric for each block and mess up the pattern so it isn't perfect. I love the sun faces. It also has pretty cats.


It was only supposed to be a lap quilt but then I just kept making blocks. That's why I can't quilt it on my machine, it's too big. I'm taking it to someone with a long arm quilting machine. She's retired and not too booked up. I intend for it to be a very simple pantograph since there is so much going on in the quilt. Taylor's birthday is Nov 8. I should have it back by then but if not it will be her Christmas present. Either way, I think she will like it.

I need to get my machine serviced- the presser foot won't clamp down tight. It's a Pfaff Creative, an older one that will also do embroidery, although I have not tired it. There is no way to remove the piece where the "gunk" is trapped so in for a cleaning it will go. That's probably ok since I've had it for 10 years and it was used when I purchased it.

Fabric is really going up in price. In Stitches is trying to keep the price down as much as possible. This one was a little over $10 per yard but some of the new fabric coming in is pricing elsewhere at $12 or $13 a yard or better! I'm glad I've got a stash, but I'm still sorely lacking in solids. I'll have to scout around.

Just an update- I can't wait to see the finished product.

14 comments:

Lisa said...

Beautiful quilt! A real treasure!
Lisa

Manny said...

They are beautiful. Very nice work.

Candy C. said...

Beautiful quilt, I'm sure she will love it! :)

Dollwood Farms said...

Very pretty she will love it!

Farmgirl Heidi said...

Hi Kathy. Great quilt. I have a longarm though I haven't quilted in a while now, but with winter coming I plan to get back into the habit. Seeing your lovely quilt has inspired me. The weather here is supposed to cool down in a week, maybe then... Have a great week.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Thanks! Some of the women that have long arm machines are getting busy here. Once I get this done I have to start back on the one I'm doing for the guest room.

People Who Know Me Would Say: said...

Kathy, the fabric is BREATHTAKING! My gosh, what an artist you are!!!

Intentional Living Homestead said...

Simply beautiful.

Blessings,
Connie

Pat @ Mille Fiori Favoriti said...

Taylor's quilt is absolutely beautiful! I always liked Laurel Burch desigsn and colors.

TLW said...

You're a woman of many talents Kathy. That is a beautiful quilt and I love your choice of fabric and colors, especially for a child. Strong work!

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Thanks everyone!

Gayle Page-Robak said...

Fantastic and bold...what a gorgeous quilt! Love it!

Vicky said...

The colours are beautiful! What a fantastic quilt!

Liz @ the Brambleberry Cottage said...

My daughter would have loved that quilt, as a child. "The bolder the better" was her mantra back then. ;) I'm sure your granddaughter will be thrilled, Kathy.

Thanks for linking to Time Travel Thursday. Hope to see you again this week.

Blessings,
Liz @ The Brambleberry Cottage
http://thebrambleberrycottage.blogspot.com/