Thursday, September 22, 2011

Deer: Food Plot to Kitchen Pot


Deer season approaches so we are prepping to bring in the tasty little guys. I've discovered that deer is so much better, not as fatty or gristly as beef, in fact it's my meat of choice from spaghetti sauce to tacos. This year we're going all out to get a few since it will be our meat source for the winter- both healthy and economical!

Our neighbor, Rick, decided to make a couple of food plots with his tractor and this spring tooth harrow that breaks up the soil in preparation for planting.


You can see what the property looked like to start. This is my brother-in-law's land, next to ours. He hasn't moved in yet so it was a great place to create the plot.


The harrow does a pretty good job.


Rick selected the seed.


We have a tree stand located not too far away.


A battery operated feeder is placed along the deer path that runs behind our house.


The new gravity feeders will be placed accordingly. Due to our state laws, we will have to remove the feeders before actually hunting, but they will get the deer interested in the area in the meantime.


This is hopefully the end result- Deer: from Plot to Pot!

:)

10 comments:

Candy C. said...

Does eat oats and mares eat oats....good luck with filling the freezer this fall! :)

Lady Farmer said...

We really depend on the (1) dear that my hubby gets most years. (Only allowed one here in WA) I agree, it is great meat. Beef tastes so bland.

I don't think we are allowed to have plots here either. Many believe the feeding of deer is the contributing factor of Cronic Wasting disease. Do you have a problem with that where you are?
We do have many deer right at home, and hubby has taken an occasional one here, but most are high country bucks. The worst they've had are ticks!
Right now, he is off on a Select Elk Hunt. Sure hope he gets one! Would be wonderful to have a bulging freezer this winter!
:~P

Judie said...

Kathy, I lived for many winters on deer meat, and I stayed sooo fit! I love deer liver! I marinate it in Italian dressing and cook it on a HOT grill. It tastes like the best steak on earth!
Thanks for your nice comment on my post. Right now, I am hating the desert and all the dangerous animals we cope with every day. I seriously want to go to the beach.

Farmgirl Heidi said...

Fun post to read. May you get many a deer in every pot this winter. Have a great weekend.

Have a Daily Cup of Mrs. Olson said...

Wow! That is something to see. You really know how to hunt for deer. That is awesome that you love it. I have not eaten deer for years, but had a hard time acquiring a taste for it. When my hubby use to hunt we had it made into jerky and salami. I know that it is much healthier for you. Wishing you lots of success!

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Jann: I never liked it before. I think it may have something to do with the processing. This doesn't at all taste gamey.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Judie: I will pass this along to the #1 BBQ guy- my husband will most likely give this a try.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Lady Farmer: we can have more here because the population is so high and the acreage, plus the bow and gun seasons. Food plots are ok here too. There are so many deer here that they were all over the suburban residential areas and the accidents were increasing at such a high rate. As it happens, my office is in a very nice, high end business park in the middle of a wealthy area. They ended up having controlled hunts in the office park and then sterilized many of them. The accidents out where I live are increasing too, winding roads with no shoulders and no street lights. I will swear the deer hide behind trees and jump out in front of you on purpose! It's extremely bad for motorcyclists.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Candy and Heidi: Thank you!

debbie said...

I can't wait for the wonderful recipes you are going to post! We love venison! (You are sharing recipes...right?)