Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Our New House - Greenhouse That Is


I inherited a greenhouse.
My brother & sister-in-law decided to set sail
and move onto a yacht down in Daytona Beach FL
which, although very large, really doesn't lend 
itself to a greenhouse, 
especially when there is fresh crab to be eaten on demand. 


We selected a site by the garden for now.


Erected the sturdy frame.


Added the plastic covering
and rolled up the doors and windows
to let the air through until we are ready to use it.

It will get very good morning sun and then 
hopefully protect the plants from the stronger
afternoon sun once the temperatures warm up.

They had it for several years so there are some
repairs to be made around the zippered doors.
I think I'll get velcro and go around the entire opening, 
then put new plastic on the ends.  I believe JoAnn's 
has material suitable for this. 

Tom is going to make whatever shelving I need
and is even thinking about using the frame
to build something more permanent
once we determine where the best location is.

Now I'll need to read up on what to do and when to start 
planting for zone 5/6  (St Louis outskirts).
Suggestions are welcome!



10 comments:

Pat said...

Oh fun - was hoping you would be sharing more about this after your earlier post! I have zone envy - wish we were 5/6

Have heard air circulation is important - may want to think about some sort of oscillating type fan??

Barbara said...

You are going to love it!

Emily Cromer said...

I don't know anything about greenhouses, other then I would love to have one! :)

That is great!

Sunnybrook Farm said...

Some people put a trench on one side and either walk in it or cover it with a walkway. The purpose is to get down deep in the ground to where the cold are will sink and be warmed by the earth and then rise, works for cold nights I guess. Anyway something to research. I think it may be called a cold sink.

Candy C. said...

How neat, this will really get your garden started earlier!

Manny said...

Nice. But isn't it kind of early to put up? It's still frigid around here. Even a glass house won't keep things from freezing in this weather.

Michelle said...

I have one of these. We get high winds here so my husband had to screw the feet to a wooded board then ran a iron rod thru the wood into the ground. To hold it down. I love using it in the early spring.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

It looks like there are certain vegetables and flowers that should be started in Feb or early March. We wanted to get it up, make sure the location is correct and do any repairs necessary so we are good.

Farmgirl Heidi said...

That greenhouse looks awesome Kathy! I can hardly wait to see what you do with it.

Clint Baker said...

Thats a great green house, I bet you will love it a lot!