Thursday, January 24, 2013

Girls and Bonfires


It was a beautiful day in the neighborhood.
The sun was shining and warmth blanketed the ridge
as the girls ran back and forth between each other's homes.

"Where are the girls?" I asked my husband.
"They're up near the garden playing bonfire," replied my husband.
They were gathering sticks and twigs and placing them in the fire pit.
Soon, my granddaughter ran down to the house completely out of breath.
"Where are the matches?"
WHAT ?!
"GIRLS, get down here," said my husband,
"If you want a fire we'll make one in the pit on the courtyard.
Go get sticks!"

Soon they gathered sticks, twigs and logs, 
and we had the start of a fire.
People began pulling up lawn chairs, 
kids played flashlight tag but sadly, 
I was out of marshmallows!

I picked some dead flower foliage from the garden wall
thinking that I'd just burn them while we had the fire going.


Granddaughter, Taylor, took advantage of the situation,
her impression of a zombie bride!



The next morning, this was all that was left.
A solitary log.


Here is a photo of the dressing table we refinished for her.
I still have to make the dresser scarf and a cushion for her chair.
The dresser is also in place and she's pretty excited about her new arrangement. 
Now we've got to figure out what to do with her little girl stuff, 
which is up to her mother, but it will be leaving my place!


5 comments:

Farmgirl Heidi said...

Taylor makes an adorable Zombie Bride actress. I love bonfires too. It's felt like camping around here living with only the heat of a woodstove for about a month. I really like the dressing table you refinished for her. It's going to be lovely once scarved. You two are very creative.

Lisa said...

Some of our best memories with our boys was sitting around a fire in the backyard on a Saturday evening. They loved keeping the fire hot and burning. All the neighborhood kids would come over and roast marshmellows. Sigh...great time for relaxing, talking and enjoying the outdoors. Thanks for reminding me!

Lisa

HIBISCUS HOUSE said...

That was so much fun! I like Heidi really like the dressing table. Fun post.

Candy C. said...

There's nothing like a good bonfire to draw people together! :)
Taylor makes an impressive Zombie Bride! LOL!!

Sunnybrook Farm said...

It was so cold here that our bonfire froze solid but it has thawed out this afternoon. I am ready for spring.