Monday, January 14, 2013

Garden Seeds and Catalogues


It's that time!  Seed catalogs and garden planning, 
rearranging where everything will be placed
and for me- setting up our inherited green house!
Yipee!

My brother and sister-in-law have moved onto a boat.
Yep, a boat.
A really, really big boat down in Florida.
I got the greenhouse because it was just not practical
to have it on the back deck of the boat.
So, now it's a matter of where to put it 
and getting it set up and making growing areas in it.


As you can see, I have some seeds already, 
plus some seeds I saved from last season's blooms.
Now I'm starting to collect the seed catalogs.

I really like paper copies. 
I may order on-line, or buy the same seed locally, or both.
Mainly heirloom, in fact always where an heirloom variety is available.
Sometimes I start with plants if I see something special at the garden center
but again, I try to select heirlooms where an heirloom variety exists.

But I love having the copies to carry around or pick up again and again.
I'm still waiting for Baker's Creek but I have looked on-line.  
We're actually close enough to get there and back in a day
if we start early, get back late and don't dilly-dally.

It's so nice planning the garden when all around you is cold and frozen.

Linking to the Country Homemaker Hop


16 comments:

Pat said...

A greenhouse - wow how wonderful!! Bet you will enjoy working in that so much. Looks like we have a similar stack of catalogs & I agree with you looking at the paper pages is a must even though we order electronically. Cold here too & the lack of snow cover has everyone concerned.

Manny said...

Time for seeds already? This is why I could never be a farmer. I need the spring air to hit me to get in the gardening mood.

Well, that can't have much of a garden on a house boat...lol.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Yes, it has metal braces/legs and is made of plastic with zippered doors. It will be such a blessing as we get seeds started early and extend our season!

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Oh, they bought a yacht. It's a 58 ft Bertram. I'm not a ship terminology expert but I think it has 3 or 4 bedrooms, each with its own bath (head), the back deck is 20 x 25 or something like that, then there is the interior and the upstairs. Kitchen, 6 engines??? I know I'm messing this all up but you get the picture. It's ocean going.

LindaG said...

I guess they prefer to eat fish. ;o)
I like looking at catalogs too. Good luck with your greenhouse!

Carrie P. said...

I am getting catalogs in the mail too. I have still have a lot of seed from last summer.

Ann Marie @ 16 Muddy Feet said...

I have gotten around 12 seed catalogs over the past few weeks in the mail. Anything special you do to your soil to make your garden grow better? Any suggestions for a yard filled with sand??

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I have some too, I think the heirlooms last for a couple of years, maybe up to 5 if stored correctly? I like to pick up some new seed anyway, just in case but I have had good seed "take" after several years.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

We hardly have soil at all being on the ridge top. We built up beds using horse and cow manure, straw, leaves, top soil, newspaper and whatever else we could throw in it. The horse manure has to sit a season or to because it's hotter than cow but ends up making very good soil. We also put up cattle panels (very difficult in rock) and grew as much vertically as possible. The raised beds cost nothing, we just cut down extra trees (being wooded)and bumped up the entire trunk on all 4 sides. It took a few years to get the soil good though. Now we're working on another large bed that will not be mulched- for squash since the squash bugs love mulch.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

We went to farms and got the manure free.

Candy C. said...

How fun to get the greenhouse! I have received a couple of catalogs so far but haven't gotten "in the mood" to order yet. It would be fun to take a field trip to Baker Creek! :)

Faith said...

I still like catalogs & magazines too..I like to carry them, and keep them for reference, and looking at the pretty pictures.

Jamie @ Prepared to Eat said...

A greenhouse would be great. My grow light in the basement set up doesn't work at all. :/ I have my list ready, I just need to do the whole actually ordering thing.

sensiblegardening said...

Lucky, lucky you! As a bonus you will probably get to visit them on their boat as well. I could use some Florida temperatures about now. Choosing seeds too, must restrain myself this yeat if possible.

Manny said...

Wow! That sounds great. Still that first step into the back yard is a doozy...lol.

Farmgirl Heidi said...

I am so jealous Kathy. When we sold our home last month we had to leave the greenhouse there. I already miss it. You are going to LOVE the JUMP you'll get on spring. I can hardly wait to read and watch you go.