Saturday, January 12, 2013

Likkered Up At Work?


What? 
Drinking at Work?
Well . . . . .almost.
It was a mistake --- really!

OK- two things:
1) I wear distance and computer glasses but not to read up close
2) Sometimes--sometimes--I don't read labels

Over the Christmas break my Mom, who was visiting from Arkansas, and I went shopping at a local grocery store as we always do when she visits.  She likes to pick up some products that she can't get at home.  As we walked up and down the aisles there were special displays featuring value priced items and I thought it might be fun to try some of those iced coffee drinks.

I am a regular (hot with sugar and creamer) coffee drinker.  
I've never had one of those packaged coffee drinks before.
And there was a whole display of them, really cheap.
We'll try them!
But we never got around to it.
So I decided to take mine to work.

I got it nice and chilled in the fridge.
I drove to work and put my lunch away, pulled out the coffee drink,
and began walking to my desk.

Now, I had my distance glasses on since I had been driving.
I can't read close up with those glasses but I did notice something strange.
Why can't pregnant women drink this coffee?
Boy, they sure are getting strict with what pregnant women can have.

I looked a little closer at the warning.
WHAT alcoholic beverages?
Oh . . . .MY!
I am walking to my desk at 6:45 AM with a drink in my hand!

I start laughing and can't stop  
(Fortunately, I had not even opened it )
My co-workers are looking at me and I can barely speak.
When I explain what I just did, they told me 
there's probably just a drop of alcohol in the flavoring.
So one of the girls looks.
5% alcohol.
I'm drinking "a beer"
At 6:45 AM, and I'm not even fishing!

I had NO idea.
I thought it was Kahlua FLAVORED!

The manager (not mine) comes over to see the drink.
He's laughing.
He said- Did I over look Coffee Liqueur on the label?
Or perhaps 5% alcohol content?
No, I just couldn't read it.
I can't read anything close with my distance glasses!
And it was in the COFFEE AISLE, not the liquor aisle.
Right there next to the Maxwell House and Folgers.
Who would have guessed?

I tell him- What if I would have brought this for a food day?
Everyone would have wondered why our department was so Happy!

You know what's worse?
I sent Mom's home with her- 
she was driving.
I hope she reads labels! 



6 comments:

Emily Cromer said...

I was just sitting here while everyone else is in bed, laughing hysterically at this post! This is hilarious. Please let us know if your mom figures it out. Oops!

Our Neck of the Woods said...

Haha that is so funny! The label does look misleading! Looks like there's not enough alcohol in there to do much anyway haha.

Faith said...

In the coffee isle you say? The store stockers didn't catch it either or did they? LOL You wouldn't expect that to be where you found it...I wonder how many others, maybe never discovered it and wonder why they felt so lighthearted after drinking it...ooops

Michelle said...

Fun post.Bet you will remember that day at work.So did you ever drink it?

Yahoobuckaroo's Blog said...

That IS funny! I had no idea any coffee had hooch in it. I just kicked coffee as well as Sominex, so I won't have to worry about it.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Not yet. I can't figure out when to drink it. I don't want to do it in the evening because the coffee will keep me awake and I don't want to be drinking alcohol in the morning.