Wednesday, January 2, 2013

BOM Progress


Block of the Month- Amish with a Twist
using fabric from Marcus Brothers 
designed by Judie Rothermel.
This week it will be block 9 and maybe 10
depending on how my quilt shop structures it.
( quilt photo credit on Sew Susie Q site link.)

You pay for the pattern up front
then each month you get the fabric for that block free
and whichever installment of the pattern you are on
This one is broken down into several installments.

It's a basic quilt but I've never done a black quilt before.
Once we have completed the 12 main blocks 
you can choose to purchase the finishing kit
plus she is having an applique class for the border.
There will be an optional border if you don't like applique.

I'll see if I want to complete it or not when the time comes.
But for now, I'm just practicing blocks and meeting up with 
the quilters each month to see what everyone has made.
I see optional background fabrics on the Marcus Brothers BOM site 
that might be interesting plus an Amish with a Twist II
that is much more intricate.



9 comments:

Carolyn said...

Ooo! I like the black-backed quilt, it really brings out the colors! Hope yours goes well :)

Candy C. said...

OMG! The finished example is stunning! I really like the black and the applique but it's not something that would go in my house. LOL!!

HIBISCUS HOUSE said...

I love the Amish Quilts. Kathy this sounds like so much fun. I know you are enjoying it.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

You should see how they quilted the individual blocks, very fancy and makes all the difference.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

We'll see if I pick up the finishing kit. I sort of want to because I'd like to finish it and do the applique but it doesn't go with anything I have. Such decisions!

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Thank you.

Kristi said...

Count me as another person who likes the black background; it really makes the colors pop.

Brenda said...

I have been eyeing these quilts in a couple of our local quilt shops but I have not decided if I will make one or not. I do like the look, but I grew up in Indiana Amish country and the area I live in Michigan also have a lot of Amish so I have see the black background a lot over the years. I think it grows on you.

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Beautiful blocks, this is a neat quilt!