Sunday, April 15, 2012

Herb Garden - What Do I Plant?


I am trying to design a dual purpose herb garden that will serve both as apothecary as well as a pottage herb garden.  I've checked several sources to determine what I will need but I would appreciate any help you might be able to provide.

I'm hoping my sister in law will want to join in with this since they will be building next door in the not too distant future.  The garden is on the side of our house that will meet their property so it would be perfect.  She's way ahead of me in learning how to use them.
Hopefully I can grow these in Missouri (and spelled these correctly)


Apothecary Herb Garden  (updated May 2012)

Burdock
Calundula officianalis purchased seeds
Chamomile purchased seeds
Fennel - foeniculum
Feverfew 
Garlic purchased sets
Hens & Chicks - Sempervivum tectorum
Horehound 
Lavendula soechas
Marjoram planted
Mugwort
Myrtle - myrtus communis 
Oregano
Rosemary planted indoors
Sage planted indoors and out
St John's Wort
Scullcap
Soapwort
Thyme (thymus vulgaris) planted
Valerian
Yarrow

Separately- chickweed

Pottage Herb Garden

Angelica
Artesima
Basil planted
Coriander/Cilantro
Chervil
Chives planted
Dill planted
Fenugreek
Lovage
Nasturtium purchased seeds
Oregano
Parsley planted
Peppers- vrs planted
Rosemary
Sage planted
Thyme planted
Winter Savory

Separately - spearmint planted

What I Have

Beebalm
Blackberry
Coneflower
Dandelion
Mullein

I'll be working on this for the additional garden space we are going to use this year.  Any comments are welcome!

 I have linked this up to Wildcrafting Wednesday.  I hope I did that right!






10 comments:

Pat said...

Hi Kathy - I have a small herb garden - mostly for culinary use now due to space. Years ago in another house, I also had a place for Biblical herbs which brought much joy and and was very enlightening as I learned their origins & use.
If you have the opportunity, visit Lemon Verbena Lady's blog - she is very knowledgeable and is a frequent contributor to The Herb Companion among along with other sources. http://lemonverbenalady.blogspot.com

Keep us posted - next to quilting, herbs have always been an area of great interest too!

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Thank you. I'll go to her site now.

Farmgirl Heidi said...

Wow, that sounds like a great list, and very ambitious. I look forward to watching your progress. Oh, and thank you to taylorsoutback too for the link and 411 about the Lemon Verbena Lady's blog. I have to check it out too.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I probably won't be able to get all of those planted this year; however, I do have some seeds that cover some of these but they are older. I'll have to see if they sprout.

Candy C. said...

Isn't it wonderful how so many medicinal herbs are also great for culinary use?!? I'm trying to incorporate more herbs in my garden this year too, but on a much, much smaller scale! :)

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Yes, things I never thought of. I'll lay it out for everything I would like to plant but the plants may not get there this year. I have some in pots now and should be able to plant- we just had hopefully our last frost. Then I have seeds but they are not started yet. I need a good seed starting area and some lights!

Mind Body and Sole said...

Kathy, this would be such a great post to share with Wildcrafting Wednesday! :) I hope you'll join us.

Thanks!
~ Kathy

Wonderwoman said...

I'm hoping to add chervil and lovage this year to the garden. I'm really curious what you'll do with the hens and chicks? I have some and would gladly use them if I knew why. Thanks! Oh - and thanks for the list.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

It was recommended in the garden. I don't know if I will use it but if I did this is what it could be used for. It's not the typical hens and chicks, but related.

Houseleek is considered to be an astringent, diuretic, odontalcic and vulnerary. Externally, the plant is used for a variety of skin conditions. Houseleek juice and poultice have an astringent and soothing effect on the skin, thus being helpful in cases of burns, bites, scalds and strings. Internally, houseleek is used for treatment of shingles and hemorrhoids (in these cases the plant should be used carefully, because it also has an emetic and purgative effect). Houseleek juice is also used for ear pain (otalgia). http://health-from-nature.net/Houseleek.html

Wonderwoman said...

Very cool. Thanks for the info and the link.