Sunday, April 1, 2012

All Down the Drain - Sink Syrup


I spent some time yesterday collecting dandelion heads because I wanted to try making syrup using the Mooberry Farm  Recipe.  I walked around the yard but most had gone to puff ball stage.  I collected what I could, walked up and down the road, through weedy hillsides and finally had 6 cups, enough to make half the recipe.

I didn't have a lemon.  Oh oh, I forgot that part but we had to run an errand that evening and we made a  quick stop at the grocery.  One lemon.

I chopped the lemon and boiled the flower heads.  I let them cool.    I lined the colander with coffee filters but the filters weren't really letting all the juice through so I decided to do a second filter with cheese cloth.

I lined the colander and poured the juice back through.



Do you see anything wrong here?

I forgot to put the bowl back underneath the colander.
The boiled lemon-dandelion juice went right..down..the..drain.

I just stood there, wide eyed and mouth gaping.  
I looked at my sister-in-law, who I had been talking to, and  said  " (bad word)  I can't believe what I just did!"


There was so very little left that I didn't pour down the drain.  
Not to mention I forgot to use only 1/2 lemon when I cut the recipe in half. 
This will teach me to not jabber away when I'm trying to cook- it's difficult enough without be distracted! 

There will be more dandelions, I can be assured of that!  Maybe I'll try next weekend.

12 comments:

Candy C. said...

Oh no!! I hate when I do stuff like that! Yep, the good news is that there *will* be more dandelions!

Simple Pleasures said...

Hi Kathy,
If that wasn't so sad it would be funny! Oh well, we all do goofy things don't we. Thanks for always taking the time to visit my blog you are a sweetie. Have a great week.
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Oops! Yes, if your yard is like ours.... there will be plenty of dandelions for a second chance. :o) Hope it works out for you next time!

Beth said...

Ok, my day has been terrible...bad news abounds. So when I read this, (and I swear I'm not being mean...) I just giggled...because there's been so many times I've done something like this. ~Worked so hard to do something and then "poured it down the drain" by mistake. So, I'm sorry for laughing at you...I'm not really a mean person. Anyway, some of the best memories are made (and recanted by the next generation) from mistakes/laughter.

Next time, I'm sure your syrup will be perfect! =) Thanks for sharing! In a world of "perfect bloggers," it's great to see that there are SOME normal people out here. =)

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

LOL- I loved your cake post too! Glad to have brightened up your day, it's was one of "those" weeks for me.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I'll bet my neighbors wouldn't mind a bit if I picked a few out of their yards either.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Just another goofy thing to tell everyone about. People at my office just don't understand all of this!

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I think I can. . . I think I can. . . I'll just keep repeating this! Oh, and I think I see some more flower heads starting up now.

Yahoobuckaroo's Blog said...

Have you ever made dandelions wine? Ever since I read the novel I've wanted to know what it tastes like.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I haven't made it but I have tasted it. I used to write for a newspaper in Fulton, MO while I was in school. During that time I met a older couple who built their own log home themselves, worked the land and of course she made everything herself. Tom came up to visit and I took him over to meet them. She offered us dandelion wine- not so good, at least not that batch. Tom used to make home brew, maybe he'd be interested in making some wine. Our neighbors make all sort of wine, apple, kiwi, mixtures like strawberry kiwi margarita flavored, etc.

Anonymous said...

My first Christmas as a newly wed I was making Christmas dinner for my parents and my in-laws, I did some thing similar. I was going to use the stock from the leg of lamb ,that had been roasting, to make the sauce.When I was pouring the stock through the colander I suddenly realized that the stock was going into the drain instead of the pot I meant to pour it into.I had to make sauce out of Chicken stock instead.:-) It is always the first topic of conversation during our Christmas dinners. I like your blog alot. Best wishes from Nina in Norway

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Oh how funny/terrible! But it makes a good memory, doesn't it. Not a blogger (anonymous)? If so let me know and I'll check out your blog too.