Monday, August 22, 2016

Crooked Neck Squash Cake



I have a Bunch of them!
Crooked Neck Squash.
All yellow and warty, full of seeds and growing like
weeds.  I still have babies popping out all over,
although the plants are looking on the downhill side this week.

We have stuffed them, pickled them and grilled them,
now I baked them
and they were good!

I found this yellow squash cake recipe on line.
This is way too sugary for me (but I had a slice anyway).
For that reason I didn't frost it as suggested in the recipe
and I made a couple of changes so you can 
follow the recipe below or click the link
at the beginning of this paragraph to get the original 
with the frosting recipe too.

It was a big hit at home, in fact I sent a good third
of it home with my granddaughter.
Everyone at worked that tried it came back for more.
I hope you will like it too!


Crooked Neck Squash Cake Recipe

  • 3 Cups sugar
  • 3 Cups flour
  • 1½ teaspoons cinnamon
  • 1½ teaspoons baking powder
  • 1½  teaspoon baking soda
  • ½ teaspoon salt
  • 3 cups  yellow squash (I peeled the warts and put them through the food processer so they were grated)
  • 4 eggs
  • 1½ cups vegetable oil
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla (I omitted this- it was an accident but didn't make any difference, they all loved it without the extra vanilla

  • Use a very large bowl and add the sugar, flour, cinnamon, baking powder, baking soda and salt.  Stir this up well.
  • Combine the eggs, oil and squash in a medium bowl and mix.
  • Add the squash mix to the dry ingredients and stir until well combined.
  • Grease a 9 X 13 pan and add the mixture
          Bake this at 350 degrees F for about 45-50 minutes

         Let cake cool and cover.  




4 comments:

HIBISCUS HOUSE said...

Well that is one way to get vegetables in people who hate them's diets! Sounds good.

LindaG said...

I used to like a baked acorn squash once in a while, but hubby doesn't like them so I mostly don't.
Your cake looks good! I can see why everyone liked it!

Ginger Dawn...A Spice Below The Horizon said...

I love squash! I am on a diet so what a better way to get my favorite veggie!

Powell River Books said...

Maybe I should try growing some. I've planted yellow summer squash for two years, but they don't produce much and are very tiny. - Margy