Wednesday, February 24, 2016

Wings- Block 2


This is Block 2 from The Splendid Sampler

 These are six inch blocks made from very tiny squares that
are 1 1/2 inches!  It is challenging at best and complicated
by my new cutting mat that has wide grid line every
few inches between pencil thin ones.  I wish I would have
noticed it because it will make your squares just a little
off depending on how you line up the fabric.  Across several
blocks will make a difference, just like a 1/4 and a scant 1/4 inch seam.

I still have to embroider the antennae on the butterflies and then
start to work on Block 3 which is another heart theme but 
set differently.  Along with block 3, only 98 more to go!!





3 comments:

Gorges Smythe said...

Pretty!

Lady Locust said...

It looks great. The color choice is charming - will make a cozy looking quilt:)

Catawissa Gazetteer said...

I remember just a couple years back when you started down the quilting road - all the yelling, cursing and tears. I'll never learn this! I can't make those cuts!

And now look at you, obsessing over slightly thicker lines on a cutting board.

You've come a long way and I'm proud of you. Like a good finish carpenter you're starting to see and work to the numbers that aren't there. You've crossed the Rubicon in your skills. Those tiny measurements that caused you so much trouble a couple years back look like four lane highways now.

Now, if I can just get you out to my shop and teach you the fine points of cutting dovetails. Same skills, different material. And I need to have you teach me how to make that quilt I bought a couple years ago.

Who'd a thought that sewing and carpentry would have so much in common?