Monday, August 27, 2012

The Squash Queen Makes Gummies


You all know I'm the Squash Queen of Robertsville, right?
This is only a portion of what we've harvested this year, even after fighting the bugs.
We've dehydrated them, grilled them, topped them with alfredo sauce
 and baked them with brown sugar and butter.
I still have squash, squash and more squash.
What now?
Gummies from 


I peeled, seeded and chopped them into thin strips.
I soaked them in the grape juice concentrate, simmered and drained.


I decided to try them three ways:
Plain
Sugared
Sugared with powdered lemon drink mix.


I laid them on the dehydrator trays, set the temperature
and by morning, I had gummies!


My favorite have to be the ones with sugar and drink mix, they are a bit more sour.  
That's how I like my dehydrated apples too, pre-treated with lemon juice.
It has more of a zing later.

I'll admit I have an addiction- I love Trolli Brite Sour Gummy Worms.
I could eat the entire package in one sitting (and have).
These have to be more healthy- right?
 Guess what?  They are good!


I took some into work and, believe it or not, some asked for seconds.
That's pretty special considering some crazy squash queen is offering you
wrinkled up purple strips that smell like a wine garden grape stomp!

This was fun to make and you can do it too!  
Follow along with the full color directions provided here.

7 comments:

Sunnybrook Farm said...

Amazing! I never would have guessed it possible. You are the queen for sure!

Candy C. said...

Neat idea! Thanks for the link Oh Mighty Squash Queen! :)

Kristi said...

Wow! Just when I thought I had run out of ideas of what to do with zucchini. . .

Nancy said...

A new one for sure -- lol! I love gummy worms too, but I can't handle the sugar.

Jenny said...

Wow. In my wildest dreams I would never have thought you could make something like this from squash.

Wow.

Wendy Haught said...

Sounds like a winner! Talk about inspiration. I just read your last post about Sunday breakfast and started thinking about . .bacon-wrapped gummies. :D

HIBISCUS HOUSE said...

Well I never heard of that and it looks good! Thanks for all of your great ideas!