Thursday, May 31, 2012

Mimosa Memories


I remember a beautiful mimosa tree that grew in the front yard of one of my childhood homes.  The pretty pink puffs released such a wonderful scent that floated on the breeze, attracting hummingbirds that would flit from blossom to blossom.  

I planted one several years ago at the bottom of our drive, near our garden wall, so visitors would someday drive down to a magnificent bouquet of pink and green.  While it's still young and sparsely flowered, the tree conjures up images of a tropical isle. 

A larger tree stands at the top of our drive on the neighbor's property, but we have a lovely view.  I stopped to take a close up of the bloom as I was walking by.  A pretty combination of pinks and green.
I think it could be a quilt inspiration!



10 comments:

Gorges Smythe said...

I remember the cliffs above Gatlinburg, TN being abloom with mimosas when I was there as a teenager. When I visited there twenty years later, I couldn't even find the cliffs, let alone the mimosas.

Candy C. said...

I love mimosa trees! I could definitely see those colors being worked into a quilt! :)

Anonymous said...

LOvely post & blog..

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

The cliffs too, due to building perhaps? We have some great (man made) caves along route 66 that runs through town. They decided to build in front of them.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Thank you.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I'll have to think about that after I finish the three or four other things I've started and never finished! LOL Really though, I'll keep my eye open for clearance fabric.

RG said...

They have them over in East Texas. Prettier than cactus!

Emily Cromer said...

Wow! Those are beautiful! We have been looking for a tree to add to our front yard because when we moved here our contractor had ripped our trees out. Now the question is what to plant. Mimosa might be it!

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

They sure are pretty!

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

You might be able to do that. They are barely in zone 5, as we are bordering 5/6, so you don't see too many above that. They have seed pods all over them and you can save and plant them later, some seedlings will pop up by themselves but in our zone they don't go wild. Some consider them problematic but they may be in a warmer zone. They spread very wide for their height so do some research to see where it should best be positioned. I also used to have a weeping willow (some consider this a trash tree too) but it grew so perfectly in the corner of our back yard. We kids were able to make a "clubhouse" in it by just sitting on the branches, completely hidden from anyone outside the tree! It was fun.