Saturday, March 26, 2011
I pieced my quilted table runner today! I used spray adhesive to attach the batting to the backing and then worked on a diagonal, sewing each strip at a 45 degree angle, one on top of the previous row, iron, repeat. I cut the batting incorrectly a few times but it worked out ok in the end. This is my first attempt at the quilting portion.
I started with the four colors, creating long strips that I sewed together in rows then cut them horizontally which made new rows with all the colors attached. A couple of rows had to be slightly reconfigured to piece the beginning squares to the end instead.
Then you attach the batting to the backing and sew away. You start out with backing that is 24 X 42 inches but it sizes down to what you see here. Due to the initial size, it was cumbersome to work with on my machine but worked out pretty well. Again, it may not be perfect but I learned how to do it and that was the goal.
Now I have to make and attach the binding. I'll have to do something about coordinating place mats too. The yellow is not available but I can still find the other colors.
I get a lot accomplished when it snows unexpectedly and our rooftop satellite is so packed with snow it can't get a signal!