Thursday, December 3, 2015

Possum Grape AR


Possum Grape, Arkansas

In all the years we have driven to Hot Springs, AR I have 
always loved the name of this town.  I know it's a horrible
photo but we were in last week's driving rains as we 
drove back to the St Louis area.  It was the best I could do
under the circumstances.  

It appears that the residents couldn't decide on what to 
call the town:  Possum or Grape, so they just joined them
together.  What a great address to have- Possum Grape!
It would make a great topic of conversation when 
you meet a stranger, especially one from a large city.

We also drop the ball every time we travel to Hot Springs.
There is a junction in the road with one leading to 
Success, Arkansas. It's not as if the sign isn't staring us
in the face.  You would think we'd learn but we 
never take that road to success. 

Some day I would like to stop into these towns with 
unusual names, take a few photos to remember them and
learn a little about the history.  Then when we retire we'll have
to give Possum Grape some thought, or maybe we will finally
take that road to Success!


  




10 comments:

HIBISCUS HOUSE said...

Kathy, You've got me wanting to go to Possum Grape! I hope you do stop in one day and show us around. That would be fun. I've ridden by small places so many times and once I did go off the beaten track to see just what was there. I found a tiny tiny building that was a post office. I think it has since closed but found out that I had been traveling the road that ran through this little town all along and just didn't know it! Fun stuff...I'm still laughing Possum Grape gotta love it!

Powell River Books said...

When I was a kid driving through California to see my grandparents, there was no freeway. You got to (had to?) drive through all the small towns along the way. I loved stopping at the roadside stands that were shaped like oranges to get something cold to drink, because in those days cars didn't have air conditioning either. But I remember them as fun trips anyway. - Margy

Harry Flashman said...

Possum Grape sounds like my kind of place. The harder it is to find, the better I would like it.

LindaG said...

Lots of little towns with interesting names. Look forward to seeing the posts if you ever stop!
Blessings. ♥

Lisa @ Two Bears Farm said...

I haven't heard of this place but you are correct... It is a fantastic name!

Robin Follette said...

I think it would be fun and interesting to stop for coffee in these little towns. I bet they're full of great stories.

Yahoobuckaroo's Blog said...

Yeah, that's a pretty good one. There's a little town on the way to Jeff City called Frankenstein, Missouri too. I've never met anyone in my life who's ever been there.

deb harvey said...

there are,
cucumber, west virginia
monkey's eyebrow, kentucky

and the is a place named gibbon glade but i cannot remember the state.
very curious about how monkey's eyebrow got its name.

Catawissa Gazetteer said...

Now we need to go to Frankenstein. They sure have one heck of a nice Catholic Church (even though it seems to be misidentified in the accompanying article) for such a tiny town. The internet tells me it only has a population of 30. And, if you can't believe the internet, what can you believe?

http://www.newstribune.com/news/2013/jun/30/frankenstein-celebrate-150-years/

http://www.diojeffcity.org/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=109:our-lady-help-of-christians-parish-in-frankenstein&Itemid=205

Yahoobuckaroo's Blog said...

That really is pretty, especially that rounded part on back. I'm lousy at building stuff, so I can only stand back and admire what others do.