Monday, March 9, 2015

What Type of Seed Was That?


As the winter weather seems to be breaking it is once again 
time to begin garden planning.  I am not yet set up to start seeds 
indoors so I seed directly in the ground or purchase starts for
those plants that need a head start.  I find that seeds my heirloom
seeds will last several years but I have to be careful to keep them 
labeled properly so I plant them in the proper place.

You just never know what might pop up where you least expect it!

Seriously though, we have hopefully seen the last of our snow.  We
enjoyed sitting outside without coats this weekend although the ground
has become a sloppy mess.   I'm pretty excited to see how the
blackberries and elderberry plant did over the winter and need to 
find a Wyldwood elderberry to pair with my current plant.

Pretty soon I'll be able to work in the garden
and post about how I am fighting squash bugs while complaining 
that the weather is too hot! 

For now it's off to work.






7 comments:

Catawissa Gazetteer said...

And complain you will! It seems there are only about 2-3 weeks out of the entire year that get the Kathy Seal of Approval.

Sunnybrook Farm said...

You need a larger litter box.
It needs to dry for a few weeks here before I can get in the garden, I don't think the ground has dried since late last summer.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

LOL, yes. I have a very tiny window of comfort.

Powell River Books said...

Can't you tell, that's catnip growing in your pot. Like you, I plant seeds directly in the soil or buy starts for things like tomatoes and peppers. I don't need that many of each kind of plant with just the two of us, so it is easier than trying to do starts when we travel so much in the winter and early spring. Next week I'm going to work up my beds with some fresh fertilizer. Then it can rest for a month before I plant my seeds. - Margy

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

We will be working on improving our side garden beds where we grow the lettuces, radish, kale, collards, etc. I keep that close to the house next to the potato tower. It's funny, we do have some catnip growing next to the rose bush by our porch but unless I tear off some leaves and crush it, the outdoor cats don't notice. Our indoor cats used to be able to smell it a mile away.

Harry Flashman said...

Our cats love those big planting pots in summer, because the dirt is cool and moist.

I am going to plant corn and beans, and maybe potatoes. That's enough for a first serious attempt at gardening I think.

Catawissa Gazetteer said...

Harry, I'm sure that the raccoons will be gracious enough to thank you for the corn after they eat it on the night before the day you were planning on harvesting it. Not only eat it but lay waste to every last piece and parcel of it!

You can never have a strong enough fence or a mean enough dog. Sooner or later we're going to have to get a guard dog to live outside and watch the garden and chickens.