Wednesday, September 17, 2014

The $6 Potato


 Two potatoes are sitting at the bar.
One potato says to the other,
"Hey, you're hot!"

Get it, Hot Potato??

They were not so hot yesterday at $5.99 a piece!
I walked off without my lunch (again) so my option
was to skip lunch or eat at the (subsidized) company cafeteria
managed by a large food service company.  We don't
have enough time to drive somewhere and eat unless
you take an extra long lunch.

One option was the potato bar - it was normal baking potatoes,
not  the red ones pictured here.  For your $6 you got toppings
such as butter, sour cream, black olives, cheese, mushrooms, etc.

Sorry, a $6 potato is too dear for me!
And this is subsidized by the company !!
The cafeteria worker told my co-workers that it's normally $8.50.

I opted for a small salad (leaves and cheese only) from the salad bar.
I purchased a container of 2 boiled eggs separately (not at 
salad bar weights) and chopped them into the salad.
Plus bought a drink.
For less than $6.

The sandwich/grill line was much too long and they have 
only one worker at that station- always. They make any custom
sandwich, wrap, grill hamburgers, etc.  By the time they go 
through all that, your lunch break 
is about over by the time you get your food.

My co-worker bought the potato and  had to microwave it,
it wasn't even hot.

I'm just thinking that I have a tower in my side yard
that I need to dig up and harvest my potatoes.
  I think I'll make my own potato bar.

                        

10 comments:

Kristi said...

Eating in a cafeteria can be a disappointment, particularly when you could prepare the same food at home and have the end product be better and less expensive!

LindaG said...

And it will undoubtedly taste better!
That is definitely a sad cafeteria.

Hope you have a wonderful day. ♥

Michelle said...

What was the cost to the company? That sounds as high as some restaurant. Denny's potato is cheaper then that.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I don't know the cost but I assume since they service only our building and whoever knows that there is a cafeteria in our basement (no signs and you have to be invited to come in) that the cost to serve is higher than a restaurant but still $6 as a subsidized price (our company pays a portion) is quite high. I hear people talking about how tight money is but they buy breakfast and or lunch daily. The Avg lunch price is about $6-8, breakfast considerably less but you could be saving $ 30-$40 a week minimum if you would bring your lunch or at least bring it more often. I use the cafe for times when I am short on time or forget my lunch.

Powell River Books said...

Ouch, that's some expensive potato. I dug up my potato barrels in late August and have three baskets full to eat through the winter. We aren't huge potato eaters so they should last us until spring. - Margy

Patty Sumner said...

Yep, I agree! I think digging up your is a much better idea...I have been reading through your posts.. I love your sense of humor and creative writing...you can bring home a point...lol I am visiting via Pat from Corn in My Coffee Pot! Love pat! I am also part of her blog hop.. I am following along with you.. love my visit.. Come on over and visit with me...I cannot guarantee I will be as creative in my writing but will be worth the visit.. Blessings!

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Hi, nice to meet you patty! My tablet is not letting me post to your blog, I will read and comment as soon as I get on !y laptop.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Hi, nice to meet you patty! My tablet is not letting me post to your blog, I will read and comment as soon as I get on !y laptop.

Yahoobuckaroo's Blog said...

That's stupid money for anything that grows in dirt and manure.

I got a GOOD potato surprise this past week when I found out that Wendy's will allow you to substitute a baked potato for french fries with any value meal. And they have the best bakes potatoes I've ever had. They come automatically with butter and sour cream on the side. You don't even have to ask. They may be a bit more expensive than Hardees and McDonalds, but their beef is MUCH better than either, and now you get a great baked potato too.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

We had Wendy's years and years ago until the franchise owner went under. Now they built one up on Manchester in Ellisville so I'll have to try it again. I do like their menu too. They have then where my mom lives and we used to stop in for lunch. There was a great dollar menu. I think I had either a potato or salad.