Monday, August 12, 2013

I Hear Babies, Mama



I hear babies, Mama!
That's what Bird must have been saying this morning
as the newly hatched chicks were calling out to whoever was listening.
Bird was in his tubby scooping up breakfast when he hopped out of the tub
and started walking around- to some undetermined location since he
is essentially  blind, but his hearing is excellent.
He would chirp back, a funny little whistling sound since his beak is malformed.


I took him to the incubator so he could hear them a little better
and hopefully they could hear him.
We have three hatched so far-- photos of only two right now.
They will be fine company for Bird who has been pretty lonely since
the last batch got big enough to go into the coop.
He wants to hang out with us, which is sometimes difficult
since he's blind and tends to poop on the floor.
I found some chicken diapers on line, hopefully I'll figure out how to make them.

We're up to 5 hatches now.
I took the dry one out to see Bird and he stepped on it already!
Not a good start for the wee one.


Bird hasn't figured out how to drink without assistance yet
so twice a day he gets lots of droppers full of water.
I mushed up a peach yesterday (he can't peck) and he seemed to enjoy that flavor too. 
More photos of hatchlings as things progress!

4 comments:

Sunnybrook Farm said...

It is funny how you can hear them peeping while they are still in the shells.

Candy C. said...

It's nice that Bird has some new little buddies. :)

Faith said...

This is so awesome..what a little cutie..I love the coloring. maybe someday...:) Thank you for stopping over my little place and leaving a comment.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

Boy, they never stop peeping! I think we're done now. There are a couple of eggs that did not hatch but there always are. Time to turn off the incubator.

Thank you all for the nice comments.