Monday, June 6, 2011

It's Lunacy !


Lunacy! (click photo to enlarge)
It was a heck of a morning, lunacy at its best. I was tired from a restless night with little sleep, the high heat and humidity was playing havoc with my hair and to top it off, I drove away without my work laptop which we are required to bring home every night to be in compliance with our business continuity plan. I discovered my error after driving almost 8 miles which meant turning around and doing it all over again.

Obviously my mood wasn't as good as it should be, and that had the potential to dictate the rest of the day-it was Monday after all! I pulled into the driveway, jumped out and ran into the house to grab my computer, threw it into the car and then discovered it, or should I say them. Big beautiful luna moths hanging onto the light beside my garage.

It was a moth extravaganza to boot! Three lunas and a whole host of brown and tan moths from big ones with curly tails to tiny, pale ones clinging all over my siding and lamp. I'm going to be late, or almost late, to work anyway so why not grab the camera and take a photo? This must be why the tree frogs are clinging to my siding at night. Ymmm, good eatn' (if you are a frog)!

I love luna moths. They instantly brightened the day a little bit, enough to make Monday tolerable. Thank you, lunas, you saved the day!

4 comments:

TLW said...

I've never seen such a thing - fascinating. Do they make any noise?

Today, I got called to one of the OR's that was ready to be cleaned, and all the staff were standing outside, squeamish and shrieking, etc. A garner snake had found its way in and wrapped itself around the wheels of one of the carts. It was dead, but it was a first for me - snakes in the OR!

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

I don't think they make a noise but I've never really tried to hear if they do. They are really big, as big as your hand- 4-5 inches maybe.

Snakes in the OR? Sounds like a sequel to the movie Snakes on a Plane! LOL

Manny said...

I've never seen them before either. Are they from your part of the country? Fascinating. Beautiful.

Kathy Felsted Usher said...

They apparently fly only at night and live only to mate and then die. The adults don't even have mouths in order to eat. The caterpillars are big and thick, hatching from eggs laid preferably on Black Walnut leaves, which we have lots of. Then they eat leaves and start making silk for their cocoon. They are very docile, very pretty.